Saturday, May 3, 2008

About this site

About IllustratedJournaling.com

I've been keeping an illustrated journal since 2007. I kept only a written journal for years before that but recently I began sketching in my journal and then added my writings around the sketch. I was inspired to start this after visiting many sketch blogs.

If you, like me, are far too busy to keep an art journal, a private journal, and keep up the the daily demands of family and business, a small illustrated journal is the right journaling answer for you.  You'll find lots of advice here on materials and inspiration to give your written and sketch pages life and energy.

Or maybe you've been keeping a regular journal for sometime, why not add a sketch or two?  This will make your journal events even more memorable.

If you've tried to keep a written journal but have bouts with writer's block, why not add a sketch or doodle into your book?  Later you can add a few words about the evens of the day or even about your doodle or sketch.  This will add richness to your chronicle of life.

If you've never journaled but have always wanted to start, this is a great opportunity.  This site will give you lots of inspiration to keep a visual and written account daily events.

Illustrated Journaling is the habit of journaling with sketches or drawings.

A journal is a book (more on that later) that chronicles the events of your life.  If you journal daily, significant or even insignificant events in your life, you'll enjoy reviewing the chronicle week, months, and even years later.

Your art doesn't have to be a Claude Monet or your words as eloquent as Earnest Hemingway.  This is a book for you.  However, if you maintain your journal, in time you'll see vast improvements.

Here's a comparison of a sketch from 2007 and another from 2010:
cafeold age
You may be wondering:  Is this called illustrated journaling or illustrated diary? 

Both will work but here is the general difference if there is one:

• A Diary is the what, who, when, where of the events of your life.

• A Journal includes your expressions and conclusions drawn from your daily events.  It may include ideas your have or examine your perspectives.  And...it may not be daily.

So a journal captures how you feel about the event whereas a diary often just captures the even itself.

Does "journal" sound more mature? Whereas "diary" sounds like the teenage girl's postage stamp-sized daily event log with a tiny lock that kept her brother from peeking? Maybe. You decide. But I prefer "journal."

An illustrated journal then includes both your words and your sketches, even doodles.

sketch + words

What Illustrated Journaling is not

This site is not about Art Journals or Scrapbooking, although some of the techniques used in either of these kinds of journals you may use here.  Art Journals are usually of mixed media.  They might include acrylic paints (often layers and layers of them),  pasted pictures, cloth, and other thick media.  I recommend here that you use pens and watercolor to keep your yearly journals manageable.  I like keeping a year's worth because I often find the previous days inspiring.  Also, I can leave them somewhat unfinished.  When I have more time, say on a weekend, I can add color or embellishments as I wish.

Scrapbooking also includes pasted pictures with labels and maybe stories written beside them.  There are tons of resources on this subject.  I can't add anything more on this subject.

This is not a site about grief journaling or substance abuse journaling. These kinds of journals require a different approach and use different techniques or tools. They sometimes include professional counseling. If you are looking for advice and help with these kinds of journals, a Google search on "grief journal" or "recovery journal." This will give you lots of resources.

I'm not saying that the kind of journaling you'll find here will not be therapeutically helpful to you It might. I hope so. And I'm not saying that you can't paste scraps of paper from your trips or events. But, before you do, why not draw it directly into your journal? Pasting pictures and receipts/tickets/etc. or spending lots of time at the art table will prevent you from getting out there and drawing real life. It's the reason why I keep an illustrated journal.

What this site is about

My focus here is to encourage you to create a journal that includes your own drawings, not pasted pictures from another's artwork. If you are inspired by another person's artwork, why not copy it into your own journal?

This site is about crafting a journal that comes directly from you. It's words and sketches originate from your own pen. That's the kind of journal that celebrates the events in your life. A journal that becomes an illustrated work of art.

My intent here is to help you find joy in writing and sketching the things that bring you happiness and contentment daily. The techniques you'll learn here will help you find joy in reviewing your illustrated journal for weeks and years to come. Perhaps even share it with family and friends.

This is not a "get in touch with your inner being" or "reach down into your spiritual soul" or "get past an abusive relationship" sort of site.

I keep an illustrated journal because it's fun.

About me

I'm a computer engineer by trade. I'm a right-brain guy stuck in a left-brain job. I needed an outlet for my creative side. I like writing and sketching. Illustrated Journaling was just the thing for me.

I hope you find enjoyment in keeping an illustrated journal too.

...dave

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dave, this is a great description. It's pretty much the same for me. I love to return to my journals days, weeks, months, even years later and have all my senses flooded with the memories attached to a particular entry in my illustrated journal.
    Tchao-wow from Ruca in Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it works doesn't it?
    ...dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the "right brain guy stuck in a left brain job" -- I am a right brain quilter stuck in a left brain legal assistant job and I can SO relate!

    Great description - will be watching what you do!

    ReplyDelete