Saturday, May 3, 2008

What?

What do I write or draw about?

Sometimes I find I write insipid stuff.  I try to guide my thinking to significant thoughts, feelings, and responses for the day.  But often I write about the pen I'm using, or the paper's response to the ink, or the reason I use waterproof ink in my journal, etc.

Others say that I ought to just write a stream of consciousness and eventually a theme will emerge.  This has happened to me.  Eventually some story will crystallize and I begin writing about a significant event, sometimes reflecting on a childhood memory.  I think this is good advice.

Need more ideas?  Try some of the ones below.

Remember: Briefly sketch an item near at hand and then add your words around it.

Here are some drawing suggestions:
  • Draw your pen, coffee cup, chair leg, or cell phone.
  • Draw your glasses sitting next to your book on the table.
  • Draw your cat, dog, or pet. Or just draw a part of them, a paw, nose and whiskers.
  • Draw your hand, book and knee under your journal.
  • Draw your breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Or just draw the utensil(s).
  • Draw your room window or what is just outside of it.
  • Draw your shoe and/or laces.
  • Draw part of your notebook computer on your table.
  • Draw the flowers on your table.
  • Draw the back of the person across the way from you in the coffee shop.
  • Draw the sugar and cream dispenser or salt and pepper shakers on your table.
Here are some writing suggestions:
  • Write about writing or journaling.
  • Write about your pen, paper, journal, or the scene around you.
  • Write about the heater (or the air conditioner) that is making that terrible noise.  
  • Write about your stomach growling.
  • Write about what you want to eat.
  • Write about how great (or terrible) the morning coffee is.
  • Write about the sunset or sunrise.
  • Write about the noises/voices you hear.
  • Write about where you'd like to travel next.
  • Write about eating something that is only found in another country.
  • Write a summary of your day.  Use a list and bullets or checkboxes.
Let you imagination go.

...dave

No comments:

Post a Comment